Monday, June 9, 2008

Mommy of the Year Award

Yes, I think I'm up for it after this afternoon. I went to buy a grill, but I promised Logan I wouldn't spend much because he has his eye on a great one for when we move. So I bought a charcoal grill at Walmart along with a bag of charcoal and a bottle of lighter fluid. I've never used charcoal but after reading the directions I was sure I was up to the challenge.

I excitedly piled the briquettes into a pyramid, applied the lighter fluid, and lit it up at 4:30. I set the timer for 20 minutes and threaded the chicken on the skewers. At 4:50 I busted out the door to check on my hopefully ashy charcoal, and without a second thought locked and closed the door. Sure it's 100 degrees outside but Logan would be home soon, so not that big of a deal, UNTIL YOU FACTOR IN THAT ASHER WAS ON THE INSIDE AND I WAS ON THE OUT! So he runs to the window and peers out smiling and saying "mommy, mommy".

I didn't panic because he stood at the window playing peek-a-boo with me. Then he left and I could hear him getting into Logan's camera closet. Still not panicked because I could hear him. He wanders back to the window and I see he's chewing Logan's gum, piece by piece, with the wrappers on. Then he goes away...for a long time. I knock on the door, no response, I tap on the window, no little face appears, then, I panicked.

Luckily, my next door neighbor gave me a knife and told me how to get in, and it worked! I guess we need to start locking the deadbolt. He smiled up at me and said, "no, no, no" because he knows he's not supposed to be in the closet.

To top it off, I didn't use enough lighter fluid and my fire went out, so grilling was a bit of a disaster this evening.

4 comments:

Mandy Leigh said...

Okay...so laughed outloud in my office reading this. I defnintely was glued to the narrative when you said Asher stopped coming back to the door. whew...thank you for sharing! love it. Blessings on your day!

Buckingham Palace said...

haha.. I agree with Mandy's comment, i was totally glued and I think i would have freaked out!! You seemed to have handled it well! And i'm glad to know I could break into your house anytime :)

Christie, Logan, and Asher said...

I was so afraid that he would get on the elliptical machine and get his leg or arm stuck, which he had done earlier in the day.

Rach0219 said...

Absolutely hysterical!!!