Friday, February 27, 2009

Confessions of shopping with a two-year-old

Confession #1:  I let him play in the play area at Once Upon a Child unsupervised.  I made sure the lady behind the counter knew who he belonged to, then I went to the clothing section where I could only *sort of* see him.  

Confession #2:  I led said two-year-old to believe we were going shopping for a new 'tato head.  I looked for the potato head for a total of three seconds before giving up.  We need a new 'tato head like we need a hole in the head.

Confession #3:  We were out of clean underwear so I made him wear a diaper.  It was bulky cloth so I made him try on the clothes sans undergarments of any sort.  

Confession #4:  When I took the diaper off, his face went blank and he said "I need to pee".  I quickly peeked out the door of the dressing room to see if I could find a potty, no luck.  So I picked up the diaper and made him pee onto it.  He was not impressed.  "It will be dinky (stinky)", he said.

Confession #5:  I picked out a shirt that looked like the neck was pretty small (remember the two-year-old has a head circumference in the 100th percentile) and though it took 30 seconds, I forced it over his big head.  He cried!  I felt so horrible that I almost cried.  All for a shirt that didn't even fit.

The funniest thing about the whole shopping experience was the conversation that proceeded the trying on. 

Me:  We need to buy some clothes for you.
Asher:  I don't need any cose; I alweady have all my cose.
Me:  You don't have any summer clothes, that's what we're looking for.
Asher:  I have a hat, a bucket hat.  And lots of warm hats.
Me:  Well, yes, that's true.

In his mind, the bucket hat we bought for summer was his summer wardrobe, along with his winter hats, of course.  Actually, as much as this child likes to be naked, that is probably truer than I'd like to believe.

1 comment:

Buckingham Palace said...

I have totally left Liam in that play area too!