Friday, July 24, 2009

I'm afraid I can't eat perch, Mommy.

When discussing what we were having for lunch (meaning dinner) this afternoon, I told Asher that we were eating perch. He, of course, wanted to know what perch was, and I reluctantly told him that it was a kind of fish. Asher has recently connected that the fish we see in the water are in fact the same fish that we eat for dinner. For a two year old, this is inconceivable, why would we eat the poor fish? So the child that has eaten fish his entire life has suddenly gone on a fish strike. Which would be fine if he would consistently eat chicken or beef, but he won't.

So he replies to me, "I'm afraid I can't eat perch, Mommy.", and I just left it there. We usually eat at 6:00 but tonight I stretched it to 7:00 so that everyone was ravenous. Guess who ate three pieces of fish? When you're hungry enough, your convictions go right out the window. He did try to get some reassurance from me, "I love fish, just not fish that swim in the water. Did this fish not swim in the water?" I just very quickly changed the subject.

No comments: