Thursday, June 26, 2008

A cautionary tale

Today the Maxima was absolutely out of gas. I am of the mindset that since I so rarely drive the car, it is certainly not my responsibility to stand there and pump one hundred gallons into it's huge tank. Today, however, I was not going to make it home if I didn't put something in, boo. So I stop at the gas station, pull up to the pump, and turn off the car. I decided that it would stay cooler in the car if I didn't roll the windows down because of the tinting (we have received several tickets/warning for it to let you know how dark it is) and the shade.

I get out of the car, swipe my card like I always do, and nothing happens. I do this two more times, turn the card around, despite the picture showing me this was not the right way, and still, nothing happens. I then decide to go with convention and read the directions on the pump, maybe something had changed since the last time I pumped gas. Nope, followed the directions and still nothing. At this point I grab the keys, lock the doors and run inside to see what the deal is. Less than a minute had elapsed at this point. I would have just backed up to the pump behind me, but I was afraid I had put my debit card in for the next person to use. I could see Asher the whole time and just wanted the guy to come out and fix the pump.

I go in and the guy behind the counter tries to explain what to do. I'm getting extremely impatient at this point because I didn't just land from Mars, I know how to pay at the pump. We go back outside and he tries the card, doesn't work, so he's like, "gee, I guess I need to put a sign up." I thought about saying something nasty, but his child was in my class this year, and was hanging out smiling at me. At this point about three minutes have elapsed since I pulled up to the pump.

I get back into the car and glance back in the rearview mirror and Asher is crying his eyes out sweating profusely. I mean sweat was pouring down his face and beading on his nose. He's saying, "bye-bye, home, pease, bye-bye". He was roasting! I didn't think it was that hot in the car, but I guess that fuzzy carseat was making him so hot that he was miserable. It was so sad that I took him home and gave him Crystal Light because I knew he would suck it down and rehydrate. I can't imagine how parents who accidentally left their kids in the car feel; I felt horrible, and it was only a few minutes. Never again! I guess he goes inside the gas station with me the next time this happens, stupid Maxima.

2 comments:

DeAnne said...

so what does a "fuzzy" car seat look like? I don't think I've ever seen one like that. When a baby starts crying they really put off some heat!

Wisener Family said...

I had the same thing happen when Nathan and I were stranded and waiting for AAA to tow our car. It is scary how hot a closed car can get in only a few minutes. I am glad everything is okay now.